Friday, January 27, 2012

HELP ! Disappearing objects

We are supposed to be deploying to SQL2K5 this friday night. I've been
taking backups from our SQL 2K server and restoring them directly on our 2K5
box. Everything seems to work ok except for one of our databases. When I
expand the "views" in Sql Management Studio object browser I get an error
that says "Parameter cannot be null" and none of the objects are there!!!
All other object types seem fine and only this database exhibits this
behavior. I'm not sure how to track this down.the error message is actually this
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: context (ObjectExplorer)
"Tim Greenwood" <tim_greenwood A-T yahoo D-O-T com> wrote in message
news:%23QwU%23MMaGHA.4788@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> We are supposed to be deploying to SQL2K5 this friday night. I've been
> taking backups from our SQL 2K server and restoring them directly on our
> 2K5 box. Everything seems to work ok except for one of our databases.
> When I expand the "views" in Sql Management Studio object browser I get an
> error that says "Parameter cannot be null" and none of the objects are
> there!!! All other object types seem fine and only this database exhibits
> this behavior. I'm not sure how to track this down.
>|||One thing that I know doesn't work in 2005 is databases in a too low compatibility mode (60 and 65,
I believe). I'd think that SSMS would give a better error message, but worth looking into.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Tim Greenwood" <tim_greenwood A-T yahoo D-O-T com> wrote in message
news:%23dtxLQMaGHA.3304@.TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> the error message is actually this
> Value cannot be null.
> Parameter name: context (ObjectExplorer)
> "Tim Greenwood" <tim_greenwood A-T yahoo D-O-T com> wrote in message
> news:%23QwU%23MMaGHA.4788@.TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> We are supposed to be deploying to SQL2K5 this friday night. I've been taking backups from our
>> SQL 2K server and restoring them directly on our 2K5 box. Everything seems to work ok except for
>> one of our databases. When I expand the "views" in Sql Management Studio object browser I get an
>> error that says "Parameter cannot be null" and none of the objects are there!!! All other object
>> types seem fine and only this database exhibits this behavior. I'm not sure how to track this
>> down.
>|||And what if you query sys.objects? Are the object listed in
the catalog view? Or in the information_schema.views view?
I've hit a few flaky things like that with SSMS. Usually
when I hit the bug with the index error in SSMS, I start
seeing other object display issues until I close SSMS and
reopen. I think some, most of those are fixed in SP1 for SQL
2005.
-Sue
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:51:57 -0700, "Tim Greenwood"
<tim_greenwood A-T yahoo D-O-T com> wrote:
>We are supposed to be deploying to SQL2K5 this friday night. I've been
>taking backups from our SQL 2K server and restoring them directly on our 2K5
>box. Everything seems to work ok except for one of our databases. When I
>expand the "views" in Sql Management Studio object browser I get an error
>that says "Parameter cannot be null" and none of the objects are there!!!
>All other object types seem fine and only this database exhibits this
>behavior. I'm not sure how to track this down.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment