Friday, February 24, 2012

"key not valid for use in the specified state"

I upgraded to Windows 2003 SP1, and now I keep getting the message: "Key not
valid for use in the specified state" on any page of the Report Manager that
I try to access.
I've tried deleting and recreating the keys with no success. The search that
I've done in the MS Site have all pointed me to EFS errors. Anybody have any
ideas where I should go next?
Thanks.
DerrickI had that problem 6 months ago. After opening a support call with MS
and after many attempts to fix it, in the end the only process that
worked was to completely erase all traces of RS from the system and then
do a fresh install. Below is a list of the steps to take (note
especially step 5 - this was the deciding factor for me on the reinstall
fixing the problem)
1. Backup your existing solution files, such as .sln, .rdl, .rds files.
2. If the machine is a domain controller, do not install Reporting
Service on it. Use another machine instead.
3. Run Setup.exe of the SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services to launch the
Setup window.
4. Click "Remove Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Service" button in
the Setup window.
5. From Explorer, navigate to x:\Documents and Settings\<service
account>\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-20 and delete all
files located in this folder.
6. Delete all Reporting services related files under this folder
"x:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services" if present
7. Delete all Reporting Services Virtual Directories (ReportServer and
Reports) from IIS Manager if present.
8. Delete all Reporting Services Databases (ReportServer and
ReportServerTempDB) from SQL Server Enterprise Manager if present.
9. Re-boot the machine and log on using an Administrators group account.
10. Reinstall SQL Server 2000 Reporting Service on the machine.
brian smith
Derrick Powell wrote:
> I upgraded to Windows 2003 SP1, and now I keep getting the message: "Key not
> valid for use in the specified state" on any page of the Report Manager that
> I try to access.
> I've tried deleting and recreating the keys with no success. The search that
> I've done in the MS Site have all pointed me to EFS errors. Anybody have any
> ideas where I should go next?
> Thanks.
> Derrick
>

No comments:

Post a Comment