Saturday, February 25, 2012

"Local" Server

All:
I was using a 120 day eval of SQL Server, and then purchased the developers
edition. During the install....and don't ask me exactly how I did it, I
ended up naming my "new" server TVB\TVB - the old one was just TVB, and I
managed to remove the TVB and now have no "local" server, so to speak. I
can't find the setting to rectify this, although the database works
OK...but when using connection strings, I can't use localhost in the code,
I have to use the actual name, fortunately I can still use it in the URL.
This is probably easy to rectify if one knows where to look or what to do,
and I fear this may cause a problem bigger than the minor annoyance it is
now down the line. (Plus I only have a few apps set up , many more to come)
Advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Tom BThe only way to rectify this is to uninstall the named instance and
reinstall as a default instance. You cannot rename a SQL Server named
instance. If you have databases you want to keep then you can back them up
or detach them before uninstalling and then restore or attach them to your
default instance (that will have the same name as the server)
--
HTH
Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)
I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org
"Tom Bernsen" <t.bernsen@.worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:%23VGj0hN9DHA.2064@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> All:
> I was using a 120 day eval of SQL Server, and then purchased the
developers
> edition. During the install....and don't ask me exactly how I did it, I
> ended up naming my "new" server TVB\TVB - the old one was just TVB, and I
> managed to remove the TVB and now have no "local" server, so to speak. I
> can't find the setting to rectify this, although the database works
> OK...but when using connection strings, I can't use localhost in the
code,
> I have to use the actual name, fortunately I can still use it in the URL.
> This is probably easy to rectify if one knows where to look or what to do,
> and I fear this may cause a problem bigger than the minor annoyance it is
> now down the line. (Plus I only have a few apps set up , many more to
come)
> Advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
> Tom B
>

No comments:

Post a Comment