Sunday, March 11, 2012

"Single Transaction" property of data source

I've got a monstrous beast of a report that has about 15 datasets. I've
figured the only way i can imporve performance is if I could somehow put some
of the parameterized data it pulls into a table that the other data queries
could reuse. (Is it possible to use a temp table? I would think not if the
queries are all in different sprocs). The only way I can see this happening
(from searching the newsgroups) is by making sure that everything is done as
a single transaction in the data source, but I can't find that property
anywhere?! Where do I set that property on the datasource, to do "single
transaction" pulls?
thanks a million if you can help me.
isamuMicrosoft MVPs are you there? I'd really really appreciate it if I could get
some help here. Thanks!
"isamu" wrote:
> I've got a monstrous beast of a report that has about 15 datasets. I've
> figured the only way i can imporve performance is if I could somehow put some
> of the parameterized data it pulls into a table that the other data queries
> could reuse. (Is it possible to use a temp table? I would think not if the
> queries are all in different sprocs). The only way I can see this happening
> (from searching the newsgroups) is by making sure that everything is done as
> a single transaction in the data source, but I can't find that property
> anywhere?! Where do I set that property on the datasource, to do "single
> transaction" pulls?
> thanks a million if you can help me.
> isamu|||bump.
"isamu" wrote:
> Microsoft MVPs are you there? I'd really really appreciate it if I could get
> some help here. Thanks!
> "isamu" wrote:
> > I've got a monstrous beast of a report that has about 15 datasets. I've
> > figured the only way i can imporve performance is if I could somehow put some
> > of the parameterized data it pulls into a table that the other data queries
> > could reuse. (Is it possible to use a temp table? I would think not if the
> > queries are all in different sprocs). The only way I can see this happening
> > (from searching the newsgroups) is by making sure that everything is done as
> > a single transaction in the data source, but I can't find that property
> > anywhere?! Where do I set that property on the datasource, to do "single
> > transaction" pulls?
> >
> > thanks a million if you can help me.
> >
> > isamu|||At the bottom of the Data Source dialog in report designer you will find a
checkbox "Use Single Transaction". This indicates the data sets that use
this data source should be executed in a single transaction. So, if all your
datasets use the same data source and you apply a single transaction - you
are almost there.
Although we don't guarantee a certain execution order across datasets of the
same data source (and it may change in future), you can assume at least for
RS2000 that the order of execution is the order of the <DataSet> elements as
defined in the RDL XML. Just try it.
Hope this helps,
Robert
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"isamu" <isamu@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A4DF278F-A80A-42C0-A6D8-08B41D81F60F@.microsoft.com...
> bump.
> "isamu" wrote:
>> Microsoft MVPs are you there? I'd really really appreciate it if I could
>> get
>> some help here. Thanks!
>> "isamu" wrote:
>> > I've got a monstrous beast of a report that has about 15 datasets.
>> > I've
>> > figured the only way i can imporve performance is if I could somehow
>> > put some
>> > of the parameterized data it pulls into a table that the other data
>> > queries
>> > could reuse. (Is it possible to use a temp table? I would think not if
>> > the
>> > queries are all in different sprocs). The only way I can see this
>> > happening
>> > (from searching the newsgroups) is by making sure that everything is
>> > done as
>> > a single transaction in the data source, but I can't find that property
>> > anywhere?! Where do I set that property on the datasource, to do
>> > "single
>> > transaction" pulls?
>> >
>> > thanks a million if you can help me.
>> >
>> > isamu

No comments:

Post a Comment