Monday, March 19, 2012

"Unable To Connect to SQL Server" from Crystal 8.0

Hi All,

I am using Crystal Report 8.0 to create report on MSDE sp3a , but when I try to make connection Natively :
More Data Source->MiCrosoft SQL Server-> [Dialog opens]
then I type the ServerName, UserID and Password.

System hangs for a while, then I get this error :
"Unable To Connect to Sql server MyServer"

BUT IF I create system DSN (ODBC) then create the report, it works.

Why can't I create report Natively on MSDE ??

Thank you very much for any help,
KristWhat are you typing for ServerName? Is this database on a base or named instance? Also, don't it ask you for the database name?|||Hi,
Thanks for your response.

>What are you typing for ServerName?
I type 'XTANTO', it is my computer name, as I can see on service manager.

>Is this database on a base or named instance?
This is a base instance. FYI, this is a test computer, sp many 'install & uninstall' here, previously there is SQL Server personal edition there, but I already uninstalled it.
After that I install 'Client Connectivity only', and there is No way I can uninstall it. Then I install MSDE SP3a. and I get the error.
Does this give us any clue ?

>Also, don't it ask you for the database name?
Only after I type ServerName, UserID and Password correctly.
In this case, it doesn't give me list of database to choose because its error "Unable To Connect to SQL Server"

My last try will be reinstall win 98.
Do you think that will help ?

Thank you for your help,
Krist|||Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. There should be a service that starts with MSSQL. Is it started? What is the full name of the service (or all the services that start with MSSQL)?|||Hi,

I am on Win98, there is NO services on control panel.
What else should I try ?

Thank you,
Krist|||Actually, here's a better question. Why are you running this on a Windows 98 machine??? Do a search for SQLScan on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9552d43b-04eb-4af9-9e24-6cde4d933600&displaylang=en

Run that on your machine. See what it says the name of the instance is.|||Hi Derrick,
Thanks for keep on helping..

>Actually, here's a better question. Why are you running this on a Windows >98 machine???
We are software developer company, we want to reach as wide market as possible, we want to keep on supporting windows 98.

The docs said Windows 98 is supported. Is there any known issue of MSDE 2000 on WIn 98 ?

Thank you,
Krist|||No that I know of. Did you run that tool on your computer?

No comments:

Post a Comment