Friday, March 16, 2012

"Suddently" can't connect to sql server (SP security prob, maybe?)

Hi! I'm running sql server 2003 on a network for my small business; I'm
having probs connecting to the server from my desktop. What's odd is that
this prob sudently occured yesterday...I had been connecting before that
(like, for several years?) and now I can't hit the box thorugh either Query
Analyzer or Enterprise manager.
The server is online because I can map to it and see the directories. Also:
I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
Which begs the question: what changed over the weekend? I seem to remember
that a OS SP/Hotfix/etc was automatically downloaded and installed on one of
these two computers recently. Are you aware of any security changes that may
have been slipped in on either the server or the client side to explain this?
I'm running Win Server 2003 on the server and XP Prof SP2 on the desktop.
Thanks in advance for your help. I rally appreciate it!Roger,
> I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
The box or the SQL Server i.e., the databases, tables and data. Can you
acesss the SQL Server by IP address? Does the OSQL utility work? What if
you try creating a DSN and 'test the connection' - just to rule out the SQL
tools as a possible cause? Have you tried restarting this client?
HTH
Jerry
"Roger Willcode" <RogerWillcode@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FA1EA7E3-B9D7-4E06-96B9-D619A211088D@.microsoft.com...
> Hi! I'm running sql server 2003 on a network for my small business; I'm
> having probs connecting to the server from my desktop. What's odd is that
> this prob sudently occured yesterday...I had been connecting before that
> (like, for several years?) and now I can't hit the box thorugh either
> Query
> Analyzer or Enterprise manager.
> The server is online because I can map to it and see the directories.
> Also:
> I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
> Which begs the question: what changed over the weekend? I seem to remember
> that a OS SP/Hotfix/etc was automatically downloaded and installed on one
> of
> these two computers recently. Are you aware of any security changes that
> may
> have been slipped in on either the server or the client side to explain
> this?
> I'm running Win Server 2003 on the server and XP Prof SP2 on the desktop.
> Thanks in advance for your help. I rally appreciate it!|||Roger,
So if I read your e-mail correctly from your desktop you can login via
Query Analyzer or Enterprise Manager but from another box you can login
to the SQL Server box using another tool? Could there have been a
network change the happened on the weekend where you box got a new IP or
the network security changed?
If the SQL Server is up [you can login via another client or directly on
the box itself] then the problem has to be with your computer or network
permissions. You may check to see if your IP changed or perhaps they
access from your IP to the server was removed.
Shahryar
Roger Willcode wrote:
>Hi! I'm running sql server 2003 on a network for my small business; I'm
>having probs connecting to the server from my desktop. What's odd is that
>this prob sudently occured yesterday...I had been connecting before that
>(like, for several years?) and now I can't hit the box thorugh either Query
>Analyzer or Enterprise manager.
>The server is online because I can map to it and see the directories. Also:
>I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
>Which begs the question: what changed over the weekend? I seem to remember
>that a OS SP/Hotfix/etc was automatically downloaded and installed on one of
>these two computers recently. Are you aware of any security changes that may
>have been slipped in on either the server or the client side to explain this?
>I'm running Win Server 2003 on the server and XP Prof SP2 on the desktop.
>Thanks in advance for your help. I rally appreciate it!
>
Shahryar G. Hashemi | Sr. DBA Consultant
InfoSpace, Inc.
601 108th Ave NE | Suite 1200 | Bellevue, WA 98004 USA
Mobile +1 206.459.6203 | Office +1 425.201.8853 | Fax +1 425.201.6150
shashem@.infospace.com | www.infospaceinc.com
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. The information is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s); any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.|||Jerry, Shahryar:
First: Thanks to both you you for replying! It works now -- although I'm not
exactly sure what changed.
If it helps for anyone else reading this post; I did restart both the client
and the server to no avail. Also, I don't think there was a change in the
network permissions; I'm the only user on this network! I *did* try
connecting with the IP address and that was also a dead end.
Just for TheHalibut, I tried Jerry's suggestion of creating a ODBC
connection. When I selected TCP/IP as the connection it failed to connect.
But when I clicked the "named pipes" radio button it worked. Even more
puzzling was that I can now go back to Enterprise Manager -- and without any
further changes -- it works again.
Any body have any clues as to what happened? Also, Jerry refered to a "OSQL
utility." Sorry to be dense, but what is that?
Thanks again for your help. I'm good for now, and if you get a chance to
post any thouughts you have on my questions, I'll be even better next time!
Take care.
"Jerry Spivey" wrote:
> Roger,
> > I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
> The box or the SQL Server i.e., the databases, tables and data. Can you
> acesss the SQL Server by IP address? Does the OSQL utility work? What if
> you try creating a DSN and 'test the connection' - just to rule out the SQL
> tools as a possible cause? Have you tried restarting this client?
> HTH
> Jerry
> "Roger Willcode" <RogerWillcode@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:FA1EA7E3-B9D7-4E06-96B9-D619A211088D@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi! I'm running sql server 2003 on a network for my small business; I'm
> > having probs connecting to the server from my desktop. What's odd is that
> > this prob sudently occured yesterday...I had been connecting before that
> > (like, for several years?) and now I can't hit the box thorugh either
> > Query
> > Analyzer or Enterprise manager.
> >
> > The server is online because I can map to it and see the directories.
> > Also:
> > I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO Problems!
> >
> > Which begs the question: what changed over the weekend? I seem to remember
> > that a OS SP/Hotfix/etc was automatically downloaded and installed on one
> > of
> > these two computers recently. Are you aware of any security changes that
> > may
> > have been slipped in on either the server or the client side to explain
> > this?
> >
> > I'm running Win Server 2003 on the server and XP Prof SP2 on the desktop.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help. I rally appreciate it!
>
>|||Roger,
The OSQL utility is the CMD line utility for querying SQL Server.
See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/coprompt/cp_osql_1wxl.asp
HTH
Jerry
"Roger Willcode" <RogerWillcode@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1031B9B4-3AF4-4BF3-8B7D-A0A97E92057A@.microsoft.com...
> Jerry, Shahryar:
> First: Thanks to both you you for replying! It works now -- although I'm
> not
> exactly sure what changed.
> If it helps for anyone else reading this post; I did restart both the
> client
> and the server to no avail. Also, I don't think there was a change in the
> network permissions; I'm the only user on this network! I *did* try
> connecting with the IP address and that was also a dead end.
> Just for TheHalibut, I tried Jerry's suggestion of creating a ODBC
> connection. When I selected TCP/IP as the connection it failed to connect.
> But when I clicked the "named pipes" radio button it worked. Even more
> puzzling was that I can now go back to Enterprise Manager -- and without
> any
> further changes -- it works again.
> Any body have any clues as to what happened? Also, Jerry refered to a
> "OSQL
> utility." Sorry to be dense, but what is that?
> Thanks again for your help. I'm good for now, and if you get a chance to
> post any thouughts you have on my questions, I'll be even better next
> time!
> Take care.
>
> "Jerry Spivey" wrote:
>> Roger,
>> > I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO
>> > Problems!
>> The box or the SQL Server i.e., the databases, tables and data. Can you
>> acesss the SQL Server by IP address? Does the OSQL utility work? What
>> if
>> you try creating a DSN and 'test the connection' - just to rule out the
>> SQL
>> tools as a possible cause? Have you tried restarting this client?
>> HTH
>> Jerry
>> "Roger Willcode" <RogerWillcode@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> news:FA1EA7E3-B9D7-4E06-96B9-D619A211088D@.microsoft.com...
>> > Hi! I'm running sql server 2003 on a network for my small business; I'm
>> > having probs connecting to the server from my desktop. What's odd is
>> > that
>> > this prob sudently occured yesterday...I had been connecting before
>> > that
>> > (like, for several years?) and now I can't hit the box thorugh either
>> > Query
>> > Analyzer or Enterprise manager.
>> >
>> > The server is online because I can map to it and see the directories.
>> > Also:
>> > I have a notebook which still can see the SQL Server box with NO
>> > Problems!
>> >
>> > Which begs the question: what changed over the weekend? I seem to
>> > remember
>> > that a OS SP/Hotfix/etc was automatically downloaded and installed on
>> > one
>> > of
>> > these two computers recently. Are you aware of any security changes
>> > that
>> > may
>> > have been slipped in on either the server or the client side to explain
>> > this?
>> >
>> > I'm running Win Server 2003 on the server and XP Prof SP2 on the
>> > desktop.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for your help. I rally appreciate it!
>>

No comments:

Post a Comment