Friday, March 16, 2012

"This Machine Only" and "Stop Processing More Rules" Questions

I'm running Outlook 2003 on a Win 2kServer machine.
When setting up a rule, what is the purpose of the "this machine only"
option? I did not notice this option in previous versions of Outlook. Why
would someone setup a rule without this option? What is the effect if this
option is not selected? Is it possible to share rules between different
machines?
For the "Stop processing more rules" - I'm assuming that this option is only
executed when the rule matches. For example, if rule #1 says "if sender is
abc@.xyz.com, move this message to xyz folder, and stop processing more
rules", and the message is not from that sender, shouldn't Outlook then move
on to rule #2? Also, if you get a hit on a rule with incoming message
number 1, shouldn't the rules start again from the top for message #2, or
does the "stop processing more rules" keep this from happening? I'm seeing
a situation where, when I get some new messages, it appears that the rules
don't immediately run. I can't tell if one of them is firing then the rules
stop processing the rest of the messages. If I go and click the
Send/Receive button, the rules will all run.
Thanks,
John Schneider
Sorry! I inadvertently posted this to the wrong newsgroup.
"John Schneider" <JohnDONTSPAMME.Schneider@.eWebITNOSPAM.Kom> wrote in
message news:eTTXupW0EHA.2676@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I'm running Outlook 2003 on a Win 2kServer machine.
> When setting up a rule, what is the purpose of the "this machine only"
> option? I did not notice this option in previous versions of Outlook.
Why
> would someone setup a rule without this option? What is the effect if
this
> option is not selected? Is it possible to share rules between different
> machines?
> For the "Stop processing more rules" - I'm assuming that this option is
only
> executed when the rule matches. For example, if rule #1 says "if sender
is
> abc@.xyz.com, move this message to xyz folder, and stop processing more
> rules", and the message is not from that sender, shouldn't Outlook then
move
> on to rule #2? Also, if you get a hit on a rule with incoming message
> number 1, shouldn't the rules start again from the top for message #2, or
> does the "stop processing more rules" keep this from happening? I'm
seeing
> a situation where, when I get some new messages, it appears that the rules
> don't immediately run. I can't tell if one of them is firing then the
rules
> stop processing the rest of the messages. If I go and click the
> Send/Receive button, the rules will all run.
> Thanks,
> John Schneider
>

No comments:

Post a Comment